Sunday, March 16, 2008

Chariots at Tulsa, 2007

The Romans Are Coming!!!

After DuQuion in the summer of 2007 and my first exposure to chariots I have to admit I've been "sucked in."

So when I got a chance to go to Tulsa Nationals, the first thing I checked was chariot classes. The chariot classes were high energy and fun to watch at DuQuoin.

If you have never been to the Tulsa arena, you will be amazed at the size of the facility. It takes literally hours to walk through all the barns and see everythiny. While we wandered around we saw the Bryant's four minis having a snack before the big event.

Later we saw Hal and his four-up team. Now there is no class for four-ups but in the parade lap the judges allowed Hal's team to circle the ring. Notice the attention to detail on the Roman costumes that the riders wear. Below is the Bryant four-up entry.

I did not make the next photo larger, because it is not really good quality, a little fuzzy, but it does show that you can drive a four-up chariot.

After the parade lap, Hal disconnected the two outer horses from the hitch and went in with a two-up chariot.

It was unfortunate that the show entries were mixed up and the team ended up being shown in with the single horse entries. Hopefully next year, the problem will be corrected with two separate classes. I know that at least one other exhibitor would have entered the team class.
Hal Bryant and Deb Bryant are found at: Bryant's Miniatures, Norris City, Illinois.

Okay, I admit, I do not know all the people who were entered in this class, but I have included some additional photos for those of you who want to see more of the chariots here they are:
It appears even the judges enjoyed this class!!
And the winner this time was:

George (Bo) Step of Stepin High Miniatures, Paris, Illinois.

No doubt I will try to see more of the chariot class. Perhaps maybe some day I too will have a chariot. Phantom (under stallions) has some training and if only I can convince my friend to build one.

No comments: