Monday, September 26, 2011

Copied off MiniatureHorseTalk.com

Chariot Class Rant (  Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:47 PM)
I love the roman chariot class at AMHR Nationals. It is definitely my favorite. My old mare, Tippy, definitely agrees with me. (For those who don't know Tippy is 18 years old and still competing.)

I work very hard at making sure my horse is comfortable and happy showing in this class. My chariot has been custom made for Tippy and is balanced so that the shafts are neutral. I stand over the axle to keep the shafts neutral. Tippy has a custom chariot harness as well. It is a chimicum sport harness with a sliding backband and freedom collar. It has breeching and no check.

I am not trying to pick on anyone... but i was saddened watching horses in chariot this year who were not correctly or considerately attired. It hurt me to watch some of them try to compete. Here are some suggestions and observations.

1. PLEASE do not use a check and martingale in chariot. It is not fair to expect the horse to pull such a big vehicle at high speed with his head checked up sky high. I noticed that in both open and ammy tippy was the only horse with no check. Some horses had very tight checks! A check is not required in the rules for chariot.

2. Chariots are heavy clumsy vehicles- don't expect your horse to pull and stop (more on this in my next point) one in a refined, decorative show harness.
Use something sturdier, wider, and more comfortable than your show harness. I saw one other person in the class with a wide breast collar, but the majority of my competition has on show harnesses.

3. PLEASE Use breeching. I know this is nationals and show people have an aversion to breeching but... IF the class is called correctly (which this year in open is the first time i have ever seen this happen) it calls for a GALLOP to WALK transition. Think about a horse having to stop a chariot from a gallop on his back. Not one other person in the class had breeching, most had their harnesses tied down hard to shaft stops.

4. BALANCE your chariot. read articles on cart balance. a chariot is not a show cart pulled around a graded surface at a merry trot. Balance matters here.

5. Do NOT stand in the nose of the chariot, in front of the axle. Stand above the axle in the chariot, not forward of it. Standing in front of the axle puts all your weight down onto the back of the horse.

6. Chariot rules are not the same as show ring driving rules. Note that in addition to not requiring a check, chariot rules also allow shoes, boots, and draft harness bits.

ok off my soapbox now.
flame away

No comments: