Thursday, May 26, 2011

Special Delivery

PHOTOS ABOVE Taken June 11, 2011

Will post more current soon.
Ever just sit up in the middle of the night thinking there's some wrong and you have to get up and check it out?

Happened this morning at 4:25AM, Thursday, May 26th... I jump up and get out of bed...something is wrong. Immediately dressed, grab the flashlight and went outside...first place I go is the open shelter north of the house and there on the ground is TBD attempting to foal...the foal with one leg and a head out.
I break open the bag to allow air to the foal, try to put the foal back in a little while feeling for that second leg. Tried several times with my hand completely in the mares body...no luck.

Leave the foal, run to call vet...he's coming...I'm back in the barn....as I approach, I see the foals front body completely out...both front legs...WOW, missed a tragedy that time. Back to call the vet, go to the warmer barn, set up a stall, rush back out to grab the foal (by this time the afterbirth is passed), pick up foal, carry to barn with mom following close behind.
This was a Special Delivery...beautiful reddish brown color....star on forehead, some white legs. AMHR eligible colt.

Sometimes the name is obvious. I started this
Blog at 5:22 AM, thought I would jot down the adventure before going out again. Besides you have to let the mare and foal spend sometime together...she will relax a while, lick off the foal and mind-meld with foal.

I have to go back in, change clothes, have some tea and get ready for the day's chores. And of course, take a photo for the blog.

First photos taken a day after foaling followed by several taken June 11.




Sire: Lucky Four Rebelchase Rebelheir
Dam: Toad Hill's TBD Day of Defense

UPDATE: Photos Taken June 11, 2011



No comments: